sherry

Sep 30, 2015
Hi

I Was wondering what the speed difference between v1 and v2 is? I have a v1 box and wanted to know if buying the v2 is worth the cost of a new box. My current v1 still works great. Would I see much if a different if I get a v2? I see a beta version of a new update is out so hopefully when it is released officially there will be no loss of functionality and be using kodi 17.
Thanks

sherry

Sep 30, 2015
I am curious if the v2 will offer even better performance that is worth buying one

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Well it has got a more modern processor.
But from a user perspective, how would you measure better performance. Films stream well currently? Tick. Youtube videos ok? Tick. Live sport - usually ok, some buffering due to host server contention which the most powerful machine in the world couldn't resolve? Tick
If you can define better performance then i can probably give you a more sensible answer.
You could always read the independent technical reviews of the respective processors if you want some numbers.

Reactions: sherry

sherry

Sep 30, 2015
Thanks, when I say performance I am referring to what you have said, navigating through menus etc. If there is no benefit to using a modern processor then why would they bother using one? It is the benefit of the difference in both boxes I was questioning. Surely there is a benefit or there is no point in bringing a newer box out?

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
If you got a 4K TV then its worth the update. as the v2 will do k4 at 60fps. I have the v1 and v2 box, I Only use libreelec i find the v2 to be a touch faster than the v1.

Dec 21, 2016
Vermont
Having both versions I can tell you that some HEVC 1080p videos had problems playing on V1 (Green bar at bottom right hand side of screen and flashing bar at top left hand side) but play correctly on V2,
both running LibreELEC 7.0.3. with the same settings (I used a backup tar from my V1 setup to setup my v2). Picture and Audio seem better on the V2.
As for the Android setup I do not like Android 6.0 as it does not like my SanDisk SSD (Ultra II 240Gb 550Mb/s read 500Mb/s write), Worked perfectly in Android 5.1.1 as a storage device, 6.0 wants to re-format the drive,
if I do re-format (says my device is slow) it it still does not always appear as a storage device and is unavailable in LibreELEC, as I spend most of my time in LibreELEC I formated it in LibreELEC and only use it there.
When I boot into Android it asks me if I want to use the drive for storage if I say yes it informs me that I need to format it, which I do not wont to do!! After that the drive is invisible to the system.
I had the same results with a WD 320Gb HDD (also says my device is slow).
It would be nice if there was a fix for this.....

sherry

Sep 30, 2015
Having both versions I can tell you that some HEVC 1080p videos had problems playing on V1 (Green bar at bottom right hand side of screen and flashing bar at top left hand side) but play correctly on V2,
both running LibreELEC 7.0.3. with the same settings (I used a backup tar from my V1 setup to setup my v2). Picture and Audio seem better on the V2.
As for the Android setup I do not like Android 6.0 as it does not like my SanDisk SSD (Ultra II 240Gb 550Mb/s read 500Mb/s write), Worked perfectly in Android 5.1.1 as a storage device, 6.0 wants to re-format the drive,
if I do re-format (says my device is slow) it it still does not always appear as a storage device and is unavailable in LibreELEC, as I spend most of my time in LibreELEC I formated it in LibreELEC and only use it there.
When I boot into Android it asks me if I want to use the drive for storage if I say yes it informs me that I need to format it, which I do not wont to do!! After that the drive is invisible to the system.
I had the same results with a WD 320Gb HDD (also says my device is slow).
It would be nice if there was a fix for this.....
Brilliant. Thank for your reply. That is the kind of information I was hoping to get. hope you get your issues sorted.