adime

Aug 28, 2017
Hi Guys,

I noticed that Kodi on the box above (in Android, Kodi 17.3/17.4) tends to crash when there are multiple downloads happening / video playing. From my IT experience this might be related to hardware overheating/being used at 100% capacity. And indeed box is quite hot usually.

Would you think there might be an overheating issue there? I haven't opened it yet to check how this is done, but expect some passive cooling (radiators) inside, as there is no fan noise (thanks god!).

I just wonder if Kodi crashes would be due to hardware load or just Kodi itself...

Opinions?

adime

Aug 28, 2017
Update: I opened it and noticed that there no radiators at all! CPU gets quite hot (60+ degrees easily, hard to touch) very quickly. I stuck few small radiators on it (bought for Pi in the past) and will see how it goes.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Update: I opened it and noticed that there no radiators at all! CPU gets quite hot (60+ degrees easily, hard to touch) very quickly. I stuck few small radiators on it (bought for Pi in the past) and will see how it goes.
Hi

Please download android assistant and see to close unused apps on boot,and also to clean memory(cache) and unused system data.Also closing tasks after some time when box used could free more RAM and CPU overload which would result in less heating.Kodi itself is a software that is not lightweight as stand alone media players,for example when internet playback used .it does require steady connections so having download in pair on the same machine would not be a great idea.However this may depend on the downloader that you are using and video quality that you are streaming at the moment and also your broadband speed in general.

Regards

adime

Aug 28, 2017
Hi, and thanks for your reply.

What you are trying to say is not really a correct solution.

IF the box IS overheating when used heavily, than the problem is with cooling chips inside. If you were advising the same any computer user and were trying to say that they should keep closing windows, programs and games as it puts too much load on the hardware, you would get easy to predict answer...

But my question was whether that was the case or not. For me stable hardware, correctly designed, should be able to run at 100% for days, weeks and months (not talking about durability of such abused box here ;-)). So if the problem is that running "too much" at the same time on droidbox makes is very unstable than you should admit it and revise the build.

But again, is the above true?... There is no easy way to tell. I'll try to search for any stability testing apps to see if I can reproduce the problem outside of Kodi.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hi, and thanks for your reply.

What you are trying to say is not really a correct solution.

IF the box IS overheating when used heavily, than the problem is with cooling chips inside. If you were advising the same any computer user and were trying to say that they should keep closing windows, programs and games as it puts too much load on the hardware, you would get easy to predict answer...

But my question was whether that was the case or not. For me stable hardware, correctly designed, should be able to run at 100% for days, weeks and months (not talking about durability of such abused box here ;-)). So if the problem is that running "too much" at the same time on droidbox makes is very unstable than you should admit it and revise the build.

But again, is the above true?... There is no easy way to tell. I'll try to search for any stability testing apps to see if I can reproduce the problem outside of Kodi.
Hi

The performance may vary of the tasks and without details posted we can not tell if box behaves normally or there is an issue with the overheating.

Can you tell us more about video quality that you streamed,background apps that were running,box uptime and side by side apps that were downloading content while you were streaming?

Regards

adime

Aug 28, 2017
I don't really take a note of what I stream: it might be low or high quality stream from either internet or local network. Same goes for downloads. They could be small or big streams, 1, 2 or more at a time. I use Open VPN for Android as a VPN client. This is Kodi in the works with usual popular addons. That's pretty much it.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
I don't really take a note of what I stream: it might be low or high quality stream from either internet or local network. Same goes for downloads. They could be small or big streams, 1, 2 or more at a time. I use Open VPN for Android as a VPN client. This is Kodi in the works with usual popular addons. That's pretty much it.
Hi

When it comes to streaming can you try to run youtube stand alone app and see if stream works correctly.It is probably that stream itself caused Kodi to crash.

Also can you tell us if you keep your box on the open or in a closed cabinet(or a space where box does not have air in between)?

Regarding android assistant you are free to post if there are any difference after its use .

Regards