flaz

Aug 10, 2014
Hi guys i'm having a problem with my T8 box reading SD cards. It was ok last week now it won't read any card at all. I have tried my cards in other devices and there ok. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Is your device a T8-S (if so, are you able to access the card in openELEC (it'll likely be under /var/media/ if you're in Kodi's filemanager)?

If you've a T8, or T8-S and openELEC can't see it either (switch back to Android now please), if you head to Settings (two cogs on the launcher's homescreen) then (first backup all data from the SD card you might need):
OTHER tab
MORE SETTINGS button
STORAGE entry
Scroll down the right hand side of the screen
Can you see your SD card listed there, under "SD CARD"?
If it shows Mount SD Card in greyed out text, skip to the next paragraph.
If the Mount SD Card is present but not greyed out, click it. Check whether you can access the SD card now.

Return to the launcher's homescreen and click the circle with six dots. Now click on the ES File Explorer shortcut
Cancel the update request (but do sometime sign into the Play Store if you haven't already - https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/faq-2/googles-play-store-signing-in-and-auto-updates/ ) and close the intro screens by clicking OK.
Expand the LOCAL menu on the left, and check if the SD card is listed there, and if so, what happens when you click on it.

If still no joy, take the card, plug it into a PC/Mac and reformat the card (FAT/FAT32 only please, at least for Android)

more to come, posting then adding screen shots:
T8-S with SD card inserted - Storage screenshot
upload_2015-9-23_11-14-43.png

T8-S with no SD card inserted, same area
upload_2015-9-23_11-15-43.png

ES File Explorer (white skin from app update) with SD card inserted (sdcard1 at the bottom is the SD Card, 0 is internal storage, sda1 is my SSD drive inside the T8-S and sdb1 is a USB thumbdrive):
upload_2015-9-23_11-19-2.png

Same system and app, no SD card ( sdcard1 )
upload_2015-9-23_11-20-1.png

I've included the screens so we've got a common comparison point to start from.
Hopefully the final step of formatting the card (I'd turn off Quick Format if offered) will be enough.
If that doesn't help, see if a different card (or even microSD card if you still have a physical adapter) helps, or possibly run chkdsk on the original card (or Mac equivalent).

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-23_11-18-31.png
    upload_2015-9-23_11-18-31.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

flaz

Aug 10, 2014
Thanks mate after trying everything I've managed to work out it was the card reader itself. There's a little switch to the side that must activate when a card is inserted. That didn't seem to be working Ive managed to get it to operate again so all seems well. Thanks for your help mate.