johnfirewall

Sep 25, 2014
Very temperamental in XBMC. I can't get the air mouse to stay off regardless of whether I press or hold the button. It used to be an issue where the remote seemed to reset when the batteries were low and default back to the air mouse being on, but now it seems to do it all the time.

The keyboard on the remote is also pretty poor. It randomly switches between modes, giving me symbols where I want letters and vice versa. It also seems to randomly assign certain keys to functions where delete becomes volume down, or opens the browser. Is it faulty or just rubbish? Could there just be a better keymap I could use?

I'd quite like to use a universal IR remote also. Is there a recommended USB IR receiver?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Which remote do you have? Assuming it came from us and was purchased within 12 months, that sort of behaviour doesn't sound right, we'd need to look at replacing it.
First though (to save you waiting for an e-mail saying this), make sure you try with really good batteries (Duracell Ultra or similar), and that there isn't any sticky residue under the keys, like from a spilt drink or similar. I've got one old remote that I had to carefully open up and use IPA to clean the contacts after a glass of coke sloshed on it.
I still use the VIP remote control all day and a lot of the evening, so I know they can be good remotes.
That said, if other customers have recommendations for controllers, please do let John know.

johnfirewall

Sep 25, 2014
Thanks for the response.

Yes it's the 'VIP' remote. There's no damage to it, it's been like this out the box.

I'm guessing the rapid flashing of the LED when no buttons are pressed is the low battery indication rather than that actually signifying a stuck button which subsequently causes the battery drain? I'm getting that after less than a week on regular alkaline batteries used a couple hours a day. Assuming the best batteries on the market would give double that, that'd still cost more than my Droidbox over the course of a year so I'd be better off we a rechargeable remote! It would be pretty good if it was more reliable though so I'll be looking to get a replacement please. (Could you message me with the procedure please? Bought on eBay over 90 days ago so can't contact via there)

Incidentally the random functions executed by the keyboard only happens when the airmouse mode if off. When it's on the keyboard functions as normal.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
They'd had a problem tracing the VIP remote control purchase and it looks like the message was filtered to the wrong folder, I've sent an e-mail over to you a few minutes ago.