MarkLloyd

Apr 21, 2016
I have had a recurring issue with my box in that I set everything up - which takes a few hours to install apps, Kodi builds etc. Then the box refuses to boot properly with a screen that looks like a blurry iceberg. Now happened six times. I'm spending more time setting it up than I am watching anything.

I noticed that someone else was having the same problem and people are just advising a factory reset. I think six factory resets in a fortnight is a nit ridiculous. I hope there is a more permanent solution.

Interestingly I can access the box via the app - which is how I got the screen grab

Attachments

• IMG_2889.PNG
    IMG_2889.PNG
    529.8 KB · Views: 161

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Can you run us through what you click on/configure following a factory reset please. Also, if you open the OTA Updates application, which version does it show as currently installed?

MarkLloyd

Apr 21, 2016
Thanks - Sorry for posting everywhere but it took me a while last night to find other people having the same issue.

The workflow I have been following is this:

• Install latest OTA update
  • Reconnect to my Google Account
  • Download all app updates
  • Add apps like Netflix, Spotify etc.
  • Open Kodi
  • Install Ares Wizard
  • Add Apollo build
Last time it worked fine for a week then committed suicide yesterday.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I think SS has also asked for your ota version mark. That will be relevant.

Geoff Smith

Nov 24, 2015
Just had the same problem again. Last one was a few months ago. I had just checked for any updates. Was downloading Mobdro via internet, didn't want to use google play. No display showing download, therefore closed window. Put t8-s on standby to clear any data part downloaded. Switched back on. Now have same display of fuzzy iceberg.
I don't know what version I'm on, but will have to annoyingly factory reset.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@Geoff Smith . I believe the fuzzy iceberg wallpaper is displayed when a launcher is not initiated after booting up. Can you try using either the Nova launcher ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en_GB ), the Go launcher ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gau.go.launcherex ) or any other that works well in landscape mode (so like your TV, rather than tall and thin orientation on a phone)?
If you don't get on with them, could you switch back to the original launcher, but leave them installed. I'd like to see if this prevents the issue from arising.

Regarding progress of ongoing downloads, can you open ES File Explorer, then expands the "Tools" menu on the left, and make sure you have a Download Manager entry. If you don't, pop into Google's Play Store and check for an update for the ES app (see https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/first-run-of-googles-play-store/ for details). Unless a default has already been set, you should now be offered ES' Download Manager when you click on download links. This fires up a small window with the progress of your download.
If this doesn't occur, you can also monitor download progress from the notification area. If you've not done this before, you can access it by swiping (click and hold then move down the screen) down from the top of your screen (if you're using a remote control with Air Mouse or a trackpad).