Steve Myatt

Jul 7, 2016
I'm not new to kodi, but I am new to android. I've just received my T8-S plus and have fitted and formatted the HDD which is being mounted ok in both android and openElec. So far so good, what I can't figure out, is how to transfer music and videos from my PC to the internal HDD.
I've tried ES file explorer and WiFiDroid with varying success in that I seem to be able to transfer a file to the SD card using WiFi Droid, but not to the HDD. I'm presuming it's something to do with permissions, but as an OAP, I'm not au fait with the android OS.
Any idiot's guide would be appreciated.

jar_uk1

Jul 26, 2014
This is a really handy post as I too just received my T8-s plus, and I was trying to figure out the best (and fastest) way to get my files on to the hdd

I tried sambadroid but it seemed slow, and wouldnt work at all on an ethernet connection (yes I did switch the interface to eth but I dont know if i missed something else)

I have just set up es filexplorer as an ftp"server" so following the instructions in the referenced thread above, I went turned on remote manager, loaded filezilla on my pc and connected to it using the ip and port reference.

The only other thing i did was change the root dir in ES to be the usbdisk (settings > root directory) so that i just see the hdd. I get about 3.5MiB/s transfer speed. When I tried Sambadroid i got just over 1. Oddly using ethernet is also a lot slower using ES and ftp with filezilla than using wifi.

I have a lot of films to move over (we use it when on holiday and it saves arguments if they kids have all the films they want to chill out with at the end of the day. I guess the other option is to remove it from the drodbox and copy it via an esata or usb direct to my Synology (fat formats allowing)

John

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
I have transferred files in two ways.
(1) Via USB External Caddy Drive. Then put it back in the T8-S
(2) Via a 64 Gb Memory stick using the System File Manager

Both work fine for me, plus using a memory stick allows me to easily add manual updates / wallpapers etc with no fuss.

Also there is an Android app i use called 'Wifi File Transfer Pro' which allows you to transfer via wifi from android or PC by a dedicated connection in your browser. Worth checking out.

smoggy333

Mar 21, 2016
Boot the device into OpenELEC then you will be able to just map a drive from your PC and drag and drop files to the internal HDD. Once in OpenELEC the device acts like a NAS. No idea why it doesn't do this in Android ???... at least mine doesn't.

Hope this helps.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Been covered a couple of times over the forum, Android doesn't share anything by default as there is no server installed and configured.
OpenELEC does have a service running to enable sharing without configuration.

In Andorid, something like SambaDroid ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=berserker.android.apps.sambadroid&hl=en_GB ), an FTP server ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lutey.FTPServer&hl=en_GB for example) or the built in features within ES File Explorer can be used.