courtjester

Oct 18, 2015
Hi there - I'm new to the forum and a relative novice when it comes to Andriod TV boxes, having only purchased my T8 a few months ago. Background to issue is as follows: -

1. My T8 and Kodi have been working great until recently and I have been "exploring" both the Andriod interface and the Kodi functions / interface to gradually build up my knowledge, but I'm still on a bit of a learning curve, particularly with Android.

2. Within the past few days the majority of my video addons eg Genesis, Mutts Nutts, SALT, Yify Movies, Vdub25 and the like have been either not been responding at all when pressing a menu button such as "recent movies" or been coming up with a variety of error messages such as "no stream available", "error - check log" and "unable to play".

3. The exception to this rule is UK Turk which is still working perfectly and all my Music Addons are still working.

4. The same version of Kodi on my PC is still working perfectly and I have no problems with the above mentioned Addons on it, which makes me think it is only Android related.

5. The T8 has a wireless connection to the router, whilst the PC has an Ethernet cable connection, but I do not consider that is the issue, since it has been working perfectly until recently.

6. I did note when delving into the Android Advanced Settings on the T8 for the first time that at the Location setting for some reason it says "Shanghai" but I am not sure how to change that or whether it has anything to do with the Video Addon issue.

At the moment I am baffled as to what is causing this issue and whether or not there are any settings I can alter either in Android itself or Kodi to correct this -- any assistance to point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Since some of your addons are working, the causes are likely to be something like:
- the servers are genuinely down
- addons have moved to new servers
- the versions of the addons are outdated. If you dont have auto update switched on, goto system - settings - addons - my addons and check for recent updates
- an ethernet connection may give you better results than wireless

courtjester

Oct 18, 2015
All Addons up to date and auto update switched on. If it was a problem with the servers, surely the same Addons would not be working perfectly on my PC?

Totally puzzled at moment. Would changing Location Setting in Android make any difference? If so, could somebody tell me how to change it from "Shanghai" to my own location.

courtjester

Oct 18, 2015
OK - finally managed to solve my issue, with a bit of trial and error. If you have recently or are thinking about upgrading your router to BT Home Hub 5 (from Home Hub 3), as I did a few weeks ago, make sure you go into the settings and turn OFF the Smart Setup, as by default it is set to ON.

As soon as I turned it OFF, everything was unblocked and all my Video Addons started to work perfectly again

Reactions: Nigelar

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Good advice courtjester.
Dave S - if you see this, can we get it made into a sticky like the sly one?

Steveob

Oct 23, 2015
OK - finally managed to solve my issue, with a bit of trial and error. If you have recently or are thinking about upgrading your router to BT Home Hub 5 (from Home Hub 3), as I did a few weeks ago, make sure you go into the settings and turn OFF the Smart Setup, as by default it is set to ON.

As soon as I turned it OFF, everything was unblocked and all my Video Addons started to work perfectly again
How'd you turn off the Smart Setup?

courtjester

Oct 18, 2015
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/...etup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-home-hub-4-or-hub-5

The above link should be of assistance - if you follow the instructions here, as I did, then go back to Kodi, I found that all my Video Addons were now back to normal and fully functional. It appears that BT as an ISP are "quite enthusiastic" about blocking video content at times, especially with their newer routers (Home Hub 4 and 5). I had no problems in this regard with my old Home Hub 3. The main reason I upgraded was because by location was recently converted to enable BT Infinity and I wanted the higher speeds - had been struggling along on 7 or 8mbs and now getting 30mbs, no contest really and much less buffering.

Hope this helps a little for anyone thinking of getting HH4 or HH5, which otherwise are excellent pieces of kit.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If you have a problem getting your admin password accepted (normally printed on the side/bottom of the hub), you can also access the areas you need by visiting http://DroidBOXForums.com (this site) in the Browser or Chrome app on your DroidBOX. You should see a Get Started button under BT's logo, click that and then NO to the Parental Controls, you don't need to go any further than that or login. (Useful if customers understandably don't want to reset their modem, but can't seem to login OK).
@courtjester thanks for the link on how to do it properly!