ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Yes, if your current TV remote control works, you can teach the VIP RC to learn some other remote's functions and link the command to a few keys on the VIP. I've sent a manual to the e-mail address you used to register at this forum.

Dave Cooper

Jul 23, 2014
Hi Chris thanks for the manual. Had a try this morning but had no luck. Would it work on any tv or only certain ones?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Try taking it one step at a time, and using the coloured buttons at the bottom of the VIP remote control as the TV remote keys.
As long as your TV's original remote uses an infrared LED, rather than 2.4GHz radio, it definitely should work.

Rangerton

Jul 23, 2014
Hi guys, just a quick question about the VIP remote I just got. Is there a button on it to turn off the stream I'm watching? I can't find one. On the old remote I got with my box, there is a button with a black box on that stops the stream from playing, but so far can't find anything that does this on new VIP remote.

Not urgent so no hurry and keep up the good work
thanks
Ranger

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I'd never actually noticed that!

If you have a manual for your VIP, check the section on teaching the VIP infrared codes from other remotes... you could program one of the coloured buttons at the bottom of your VIP to mimic the stop button from your old remote control. If you don't have a manual, PM me (start a conversation to use this forum software's term) and I'll send it to you.

[edit]
And now I read the rest of this thread and see I'm repeating myself a little, sorry!

gibbo100

Jan 31, 2015
Hello.
I am all a bit new to this but am almost at the stage where i will order the DroidBox T8, and i understand that the remote that comes with it is not great.?
So my dilemma is weather to order (as an additional item) the DroidBOX VIPRemote,or the
DroidBOX i8 2.4Ghz Mini Keyboard. Can anyone tell me which is the best one to go for?
I have a samsung smart tv.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Other staff at DroidBOX feel differently, so I should probably try to present a balanced opinion...

The VIP remote control moves the on screen cursor in the same sort of way as a Wii controller, you wave your hand and control around in the air, and the cursor on screen follows you. It uses standard batteries that you can replace when they go flat. You can teach the VIP remote infrared codes from other remotes, and assign them to the coloured buttons at the bottom (for example your TV's standby and volume buttons).

The i8's trackpad works in the same way as a laptop's. You recharge it via a USB lead.

I prefer the VIP remote, but that may be because I've had it longer.

gibbo100

Jan 31, 2015
sorry for the private message i sent earlier.
I didn't know what i was doing.....
I did have a look, but couldn't find an answer, really.
Thanks for your reply, that answers my question.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Hi, I use my iPhone or ipad, if you go to App Store and type in xbmc Media centre remote loads come up. You need to add your box name, add a password and your Ip address. You can fast forward rewind at a finger tip, also shows you what you are watching. Plus it's free, and you can add more then one device Enjoy...

Last edited:
Reactions: geazer

Joe reid

Jan 24, 2015
Hi, I use my iPhone or ipad, if you go to App Store and type in xbmc Media centre remote loads come up. You need to add your box name, add a password and your LAN no. You can fast forward rewind at a finger tip, also shows you what you are watching. Plus it's free, and you can add more then one device Enjoy...
What is a lan number and where is it ?

Joe reid

Jan 24, 2015
Hi, I use my iPhone or ipad, if you go to App Store and type in xbmc Media centre remote loads come up. You need to add your box name, add a password and your LAN no. You can fast forward rewind at a finger tip, also shows you what you are watching. Plus it's free, and you can add more then one device Enjoy...
Which app do you use ?
Choice of 9 in App Store, 2 free.