Jim Peacock

Oct 14, 2014
I live outside the UK and looking for a reliable VPN provider that will allow me to watch UK catch-up TV. I had an X7 which worked ok with Hotspot Shield but was forced to update to new Droidbox ( I bought a T8-s one week ago) when ITV player changed to their ITV Hub and the operating system of my X7 could not be upgraded.
Tried HSS VPN on the T8 but would not even load into the device. Tried Tunnel Bear which worked perfectly the first time but sound only the second time and then non stop buffering from then on. I contacted both companies who each confirmed they do support TV top devices and their product may or may not work for our applications.
I do not mind paying for a service but I want it to work reliably, and with some support if need be. I have looked at the many postings in the forums and none seemed to be that reliable, or have I missed something?
Any ideas please?
Jim

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Take a look at this Jim https://t.co/7PDshF1qZL (have just tried this and too complex as you have to change dns IP address) gave up in the end. I have used tunnelbear myself for the past year with no problems.

Last edited:

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
I live outside the UK and looking for a reliable VPN provider that will allow me to watch UK catch-up TV. I had an X7 which worked ok with Hotspot Shield but was forced to update to new Droidbox ( I bought a T8-s one week ago) when ITV player changed to their ITV Hub and the operating system of my X7 could not be upgraded.
Tried HSS VPN on the T8 but would not even load into the device. Tried Tunnel Bear which worked perfectly the first time but sound only the second time and then non stop buffering from then on. I contacted both companies who each confirmed they do support TV top devices and their product may or may not work for our applications.
I do not mind paying for a service but I want it to work reliably, and with some support if need be. I have looked at the many postings in the forums and none seemed to be that reliable, or have I missed something?
Any ideas please?
Jim
Hi

We usually ship hideman or tunnelbear for this purpose on our boxes.

Price plan for Hideman is not that high,also its easy to use.

Regards

Jim Peacock

Oct 14, 2014
Take a look at this Jim https://t.co/7PDshF1qZL (have just tried this and too complex as you have to change dns IP address) gave up in the end. I have used tunnelbear myself for the past year with no problems.
Thanks Sean 99
I started to look at this solution last evening and agree with you it looks a little complex. I have Tunnel Bear installed for a trial but it stopped working after the third time I viewed UK TV. It has not worked since. I contacted Tunnel Bear and they said it may not work on all devices. Hence my search for another solution. Maybe I have to clear something every time ImwNt to use Tunnel Bear but I did the usual clearing in the Browser, all to no avail.
Many thanks once again.
Jim

Jim Peacock

Oct 14, 2014
Hi

We usually ship hideman or tunnelbear for this purpose on our boxes.

Price plan for Hideman is not that high,also its easy to use.

Regards
Thanks staff member. Tunnel Bear still does not work for me so I will try out Hideman.
Jim

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Have a look at "Flash VPN Free VPN" in google play. as far as I can see, no restrictions on downloads. However, intrusive advertising which you can close/exit from. Works on my t8.

Jim Peacock

Oct 14, 2014
Have a look at "Flash VPN Free VPN" in google play. as far as I can see, no restrictions on downloads. However, intrusive advertising which you can close/exit from. Works on my t8.

Thanks Nigelar
I will try this out if I cannot get Hideman to work.

On further investigation I notice the ITV and BBC app is now not visible to me in Google Play, even though I have my previous VPN provider activated while I search for a new provider. This used to mean that I had a location activated on my Droidbox linking me to Portugal even though my VPN states UK.
I have done the usual clearing cookies and cache in the browser but to no avail. No BBC or ITV app visible.
Would you have any ideas please?
Regards
jIm

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Thanks Nigelar
I will try this out if I cannot get Hideman to work.

On further investigation I notice the ITV and BBC app is now not visible to me in Google Play, even though I have my previous VPN provider activated while I search for a new provider. This used to mean that I had a location activated on my Droidbox linking me to Portugal even though my VPN states UK.
I have done the usual clearing cookies and cache in the browser but to no avail. No BBC or ITV app visible.
Would you have any ideas please?
Regards
jIm
Hi

You can access these from the Kodi(XBMC) once you set up add on wizard instead of using stand alone apps if they are not around.

Regards

Jim Peacock

Oct 14, 2014
Thank you staff member
I was a little too brief with my previous comments. I meant to say BBC Iplayer and ITV player, now ITV Hub, were no longer visible. I always thought to access these services I required a VPN, unblocker or similar if I lived outside of the U.K. I guess this is still the case and Kodi(XBMC) does not change this requirement?
Regards
Jim

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
You will need a vpn to access both the google play and view programs on the kodi version of iplayer and itv hub.

Reactions: 8bitDev

Jim Peacock

Oct 14, 2014
You will need a vpn to access both the google play and view programs on the kodi version of iplayer and itv hub.

Hi all, I'm back again. Still no VPN connection that works for me.
Since the last assistance above I have tried four suppliers of VPN's with one stating specifically it supports TV top android devices, all to no avail.
As a last resort I have reset the T8s to factory settings using the YouTube video. On completion, the only download was to reinstall the VPN app.
The problem is the provider shows I am connected to the UK but my browser still shows Portugal and hence I cannot see the bbciplayer app or ITV Hub/player app in Google Play. I can search the web for these apps and successfully download from other sources but cannot view as the message states I am not in the UK.
Within the Browser I have cleared the cache, cookies and everything I could do but it still shows me being in Portugal. Rebooting the T8s after all the above does not help.
Are there any other location settings I can check / alter?
Could there be a problem with the software in my device?
Any assistance is gratefully received.
Jim

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hi all, I'm back again. Still no VPN connection that works for me.
Since the last assistance above I have tried four suppliers of VPN's with one stating specifically it supports TV top android devices, all to no avail.
As a last resort I have reset the T8s to factory settings using the YouTube video. On completion, the only download was to reinstall the VPN app.
The problem is the provider shows I am connected to the UK but my browser still shows Portugal and hence I cannot see the bbciplayer app or ITV Hub/player app in Google Play. I can search the web for these apps and successfully download from other sources but cannot view as the message states I am not in the UK.
Within the Browser I have cleared the cache, cookies and everything I could do but it still shows me being in Portugal. Rebooting the T8s after all the above does not help.
Are there any other location settings I can check / alter?
Could there be a problem with the software in my device?
Any assistance is gratefully received.
Jim
Please take a look at this video

Regards

Tampa

Oct 8, 2015
UnblockUs works flawlessly and has no obvious slowdown on speed or buffering. Change on android settings > network... Easy & not expensive. I came here to confirm that if I am using it on android will it work on openelec if I switch on my T8S - anyone?