Darren Smith

Feb 19, 2015
Ok guys so I thought I'd make a thread about the Internet speed you are getting through your M8 or T8 boxes.
I know some of you have already done it, but it would be nice to see them all in the same thread if possible.
As for me, the box is not getting anywhere near the speed that my provider gives me.
I'm hoping future firmware's will address this issue.

For this test....please use the ookla speed test app that comes with the box. Try different servers if you like to see what the best speed you can get. Also....please state your internet providers stated upload an download speeds, and then the actual speeds you are getting......also please state if it's on wifi/ wired or indeed both if you wish.
I will start us off.....

My provider.....Virgin
Providers speed package.....download 152mbps.......upload 12 Mbps.

T8 box wired speed.....32mbps download.........12 Mbps upload
T8 box wifi speed........38mbps download..........12 Mbps upload.

So as you can see its way way slower than the 152 Mbps for download......upload is fine though.
Also....wifi is strangely faster than wired.
And before I get people saying I'm lucky to have that speed.....yes I am, but why is the T8 so low on speed compared to the actual speed of my provider.

Regards

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Have you done the test on any other device to check you are getting that speed. Also believe to get fullHd and 5.1 you need speeds of 8 and up. So 152 Mbps is way above but nice you have this.

Darren Smith

Feb 19, 2015
Hi David......yes I tried it on my laptop which is in another room and was getting between 80-140 Mbps download.
My T8 is next to the router and as my first post says.....I can't even get 40 Mbps.
Strangely tho......I installed Kodi on my high end laptop And tried the NBC sports extra liverpool v Man City game today as the wife wanted the big telly....and it would play for around 10 seconds then buffer for about 30 seconds.....then repeated this process making it totally unwatchable. So I mugged the wife of the big telly and the T8 box and it worked flawlessly.
I don't get it!!

Regards

Last edited:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
You don't need spectacularly fast internet for buffering to not occur, realistically anything over 16Mbit and you shouldn't suffer.
But, you need a reliable connection, with none of the network resources between your modem/router and the server hosting the media being too hogged for bandwidth or CPU usage.

I'll contribute what I can, I'm testing different devices.

HOWEVER...
Do not just use one speedtesting app. I've posted some results up here on another thread somewhere, and different apps will have WILDLY different results, even at the same time. 17Mbps-38Mbps I think.

See http://www.droidboxforums.com/posts/6481/ for the stats, and some apps I'd recommend adding to your test.

Some devices do have chips that end up with faster WiFi than Ethernet performance. I'm hoping to test a new firmware for a new device soon that may satisfy the type of customer who wants good benchmarks, beyond 1080pDTS content bandwidth requirements.

Timebandit

Feb 6, 2015
Just done a test on my T8 and results are different.

Provider.......BT
Speed...........58Mbps download and 19Mbps upload.

Ethernet test gave 17Mbps download and 11Mbps upload

Wifi test gave 38Mbps download and 14Mbps upload.

Had a few issues with buffering but overall box has performed well since I got it a month ago.

Darren Smith

Feb 19, 2015
Hi time bandit.....it seems that 35-40mbps is the normal maximum then....I've got 152 download with virgin but only ever get 35-40.

To silently screaming ......nice that you're testing another firmware.....hopefully it will speed things up a bit.

Regards

Darren Smith

Feb 19, 2015
Ok i just downloaded and ran about 4 different speed test programs from the play store, and all of then gave roughly the same sort of speed.......On wifi which seems to be fastest for me i was getting between 31-38 mbps.

regards

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I've got a 152mb link. I get the fastest speed wireless on my android phone - close to the max. Pretty close on the laptop wired. All other android devices inc tv boxes plus ipad2 return similar speeds around the 40-50mbps so it looks like a function of the type of machine and its internal wireless gubbins.

Reactions: ChrisM

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Re different speedtests, in case anyone hasn't made it over to the thread linked to above,
37,14,33 Down
18,9,5,16 Up
is the reason I'm recommending using multiple apps.

ethernet downstairs
ookla - speedtest 37.94 down 18.02 up 17ms
ookla - speedtest 2 37.90 down 18.49 up 17ms
pingtest - 14.96 down 9.27 up 50ms
pingtest2 - 14.37 down 4.9 up 49ms
speedchecker - 33.5 down 16.91 up 34ms
speedchecker 2 - 32.45 down 15.2 up 29ms
Samba 1.71MB/sec