NikoB

Jan 16, 2016
As the title really. Bought a cheap "Q" box with 6.01 installed. Much nicer. Notification bars accessible etc.. I`m sure the V1 can handle it so any ideas when? Cheers for reading!

Reactions: thepool

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Well i wouldn't be so sure Niko.

The issue is the amlogic s812 chip used by the t8s plus and other box suppliers' machines.

As far as I know Amlogic have not released a SDK (software development kit) for the s812 which would technically allow a marshmallow firmware to be developed. That is a pre-requisite for all other suppliers as well as Droidbox.

Things are different for the s9xx chips used on newer boxes like your cheap "q" box, the droidboxt8s plus v2 and imxqpro v2.

NikoB

Jan 16, 2016
good god, think you might be right again. just checked the spec of the Q and it's an S905x. makes you wonder if its worth paying the extra money for DB!

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
A cheap "q" box is broadly comparable to the droidbox imxqpro v2. Both budget boxes. Is it worth paying the extra, however much that is?

A factor maybe how good the support is from your "q" box people. Are they easily contactable? How good are they responding to queries? Live chat? Email and phone support? A regularly updated blog and "how to" web pages? Do they have a busy user forum of users like the Dbx one? Do they have a "sean" who has prepared an excellent build and provides superb support here for droidbox users?
(i'll leave you to answer all that lol).

The t8mini and t8s plus v2 also have s9xx but are in a different league in hardware and specification terms.

Reactions: Edward Eckenrode

palpatine

Sep 26, 2016
it is!!! I used to have those cheap mx boxes and movies always buffered and I couldnt update
Get a droid box t8 pluss and you wont look back

Reactions: Bjbirch