Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi all,

I was wondering if it's possible to download from Showbox to USB?

I have a stick attached but cannot seem to locate it via any of the system settings. I've tried the Advanced settings in both USB and Storage and nothing obvious appears.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Leggsy

Raymond Ritchie

Oct 31, 2014
Can't be done via Showbox. Use a file explorer to locate the Showbox folder and the copy and paste the file to your USB stick. I use ES File Explorer. The Showbox file are normally in the MP4 format, but I some found that they are appended with .temp! If you see this you will need to rename the file without the .temp extension. To watch the file just start the file explorer and click on the file.

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Thanks RR,

I've found a way without locating any of the internal showbox settings.

• Open ES Downloader.
  • Set the default file download to the USB stick.
  • Open Showbox.
  • Watch the selected program.
  • Select ES Downloader to "watch" the program.
  • The program downloads to the stick!
I've managed to download from Showbox and Videomix with no problems. I'm pretty sure the other apps will work without too much hassle.

Leggsy.

Reactions: ChrisM

SteveCrewe

Sep 25, 2014
Hi Leggsy
This sounds really good. How do you set the default file download to the usb?
How long does it take to download a 2 hour film?
Thanks,
Steve

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi Steve,

Simply open ES Downloader app. The Download options are inside the "Settings" entry.

The settings is at the bottom on the page on the left hand navigation pane.

Open "Settings", then "Directory settings" and then select the Download path entry - Set this to your USB stick (Mine is called usb_storage/USB etc...) so make sure it's plugged in ;-)

As for download time its the usual constraints... The higher the quality the larger the file, the lower the bandwidth the longer to download...

Its trial and error really. You can download an hours worth of HD viewing in around 15 minutes (early on Saturday morning)... That can become 45/60 minutes later in the day and sometimes it will fail. A succesful download is always confirmed!!! So if you don't get the confirmation dialog you don't have it all.

My droidbix is connected by Lan... we get 50mb download regularly but the droidbox states it gets between 4mb and 6mb. I haven't work out why theres such a discrepancy. During the ES Dowloading there is a rate displayed which rarely goes above 1mb, again not to sure how accurate that is!

Good luck.

Leggsy

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Thanks a lot for that. As some customers don't come to the forum, I've posted about this on the blog and I'll share it on fb/twitter later. Due credit given, thanks again.
https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/faq/use-showbox-to-download-directly-to-external-storage/

Re the 1mb speed. Check again, you'll see it is 1MB/sec . One megabyte a second. Which is eight megabits a second. Normally the only constraint is the speed of the other server.

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Thanks SS,

Happy to help, I've always found the forum an excellent source of information!

Cheers.

Leggsy

SteveCrewe

Sep 25, 2014
Thanks for the help. The instructions are really good. The problem I have is when I am in Showbox and play a film I do not have an option to "Complete action using ES Downloader".
I can watch the film on ES Downloader, but it's not stored on the usb.
Hope you can help further.
Steve

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi Steve,

I'm not near my Droidbox at the minute, but i'll try to help.

You actually need to "watch" the show/film in showbox, when it asks which tool you want to watch it with you select ES Downloader.

A dialog box is then displayed showing the progress of the download...

Once complete ES Downloadwe will ask if you want to open the file or the folder. You can just click away at this point as the file is now on the stick.

The file can be called anything on the stick so best to rename the file...

Where in this process is it going wrong for you?

Leggsy

SteveCrewe

Sep 25, 2014
Thanks leggsy.
The films play straight away in showbox. I don't get an option to view with es downloaded.
Thanks for help
Steve

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi Steve,

Understood. When you play in an app for the first time it asks you which player to use.

You can then choose to "use once" or "always", I suspect you selected the always option at some point on Showbox.

I always use the "only once" option as different file types seem to prefer different players.

I'm still not in the vicinity of my Droidbox but I suspect in the showbox settings it will be possible to turn off the default player so that you get a choice again.

Take a look, I'll also see when I get back to mine... Once reset I'd always use the "only once" option going forward as you can then choose to watch or download easily.

Leggsy

SteveCrewe

Sep 25, 2014
Thanks Leggsy,
I suspect that too. I've no idea how to find the settings in Showbox though. It doesn't have the icon like other apps do.
I have noticed on Showbox that there is a Share button. But I've not figured out how to use this yet.
Steve

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi Steve,

Some apps don't seem to want to share information I'm afraid...

Maybe there's another way... If you haven't set up to much personalisation on your droidbox...

Go to the droidbox settings (the main icon at the bottom of the home page.
Open Advanced Settings.
Scroll down to "Apps" on the left hand navigation pane and click it - Your apps are now displayed on the right.
Click the settings icon (3 vertical dots) in the top right hand side of the page.
Select reset app settings.

Not sure what "Reset apps" actually does as I've never used it, but it says it will reset preferences for "Default applications for actions"

Might be worth a try?

Leggsy

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Oh...

I'd reboot after making the change just to make sure the apps pick up the revised settings and do not continue using cache.

Cheers

Leggsy

SteveCrewe

Sep 25, 2014
Didn't change anything sorry. It does flash up MX Player when the film starts though. So that must be what the film plays on. Hoping I can get this sorted!
Steve

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi Steve,

It might be worth starting another thread. Ask how to change the default viewer for an App or how to reset to get the choice at start up again. Most things we need to do, someone on here has done before!

Leggsy

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Head to MX Player in the list of installed Apps within Android's Settings. Click on it and scroll down. Select Clear Defaults.
Re-run Showbox and make sure ext player is still set to be used, then when you watch it, the app should ask which method to use this time.

Tofty

Apr 14, 2015
Hi,

Only got my droidbox on Saturday and loving it so far and thought I might be able to help on this thread. If you are running the latest up to date version of Showbox then you will not be able to use any other external players except for MX player due to the way they are now sending headers with the web video player. However there is a workaround for this using an app called growbox which imitates MX player but then allows you to choose an external player of your choice within Showbox. However for growbox to work you need to un-install MX player from your box. I'm unable to post links as I'm new but if you simply google "reddit growbox" then the very first result will give you instructions on how to do this and will also provide you with a link to growbox.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: ChrisM

SteveCrewe

Sep 25, 2014
Thanks SS. I don't have any defaults set for MX player, so there was nothing to clear. I wonder if it's to do with the different versions of Showbox? Any idea what the Share function is there for?
Steve