ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Someone posted in another thread that the latest update to ShowBox caused this behaviour. They mentioned there was a possibility to uninstall MX Player, install an app which pretends to be MX Player, which then re-allowed opening the video stream in different apps. The website where the data is streamed from have added something to the HTTP header or MIME encoding (or something similar?) which breaks the previous behaviour of being able to use external apps.
Another approach would be to go to Android's Settings (if you see a colourful interface, first click the last tab on the right, then the More Settings button). Click on the Apps entry, scroll on the right down to Show Box, and select it. There should be a button that shows something like Uninstall updates. Revert back to the original app version, see if the older app still handles this newer system.

Tofty

Apr 14, 2015
I don't think you get the option to uninstall updates on Showbox. I may be wrong but I think you only get this option on Google's own apps like Chrome, Youtube etc. The other problem with rolling back to an older version of Showbox is that all the new updated movies don't seem to play anymore as I think they have changed servers so you can only play older updated movies on the older version of the app. New TV shows still appear to work on the older version however. On my tablet I have removed MX player and installed growbox and it works absolutely perfectly. This should work just as well on your droidbox but you would have to remove MX player first.

There is an alternative app called HD Cinema which people might prefer to use as this seems to work just fine and there is a custom option within it where you can choose what app you play/download the film/show with.

Reactions: ChrisM

Alfieboy

Jul 5, 2015
Hi guys I'm having the same problem , I go to settings , download path to my usb , that's all fine but when I try to download nothing happens grrrrrr

Tofty

Apr 14, 2015
To be honest I think Showbox is finished as the servers are just too slow to be usuable these days I find. I would recommend using with HD Movies or Cartoon HD as these seem to have just as much content and are very quick and reliable. You can also download from these.

Alfieboy

Jul 5, 2015
Thanks for that will give it a go later this evening , will let you know how I get on cheers mate