Actual

Aug 7, 2015
I have an ongoing problem, whereby the SATA HDD installed in my T8-S periodically disconnects itself when running under OpenElec. The only reliable method to resolve this is to unplug the T8-S and physically disconnect the HDD for a few moments. The process works for a short period of time (typically 7 days) before the message returns and the process has to be repeated.

The HDD has been tested outside of the T8-S and does not demonstrate any faults nor is similar behaviour observed with the HDD when it is used in devices other than the T8-S.

This represents a fault of the T8-S and should be covered under warranty. Agree?

Iand

Oct 24, 2015
I am having exactly the same issue. I am using a 256gb Kingston SSD drive. Every now and then, I have to unplug T8-S, dissconnect SSD Drive, reconnect and then everything is back to normal. I have not been using the SSD drive under Android OS at all, just Openelec.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
8bitDev, I don't use Android OS.
Can you please switch back to android and see how it perform under Android OS so we could know is HDD fault or openELEC specific problem.

Thanks in advance

Regards

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
8bitDev, I have the T8s and this has happened to me 3 times, it seems after you click on the switch back to android it pops up in the bottom right corner HDD successfully has been disconnected.
If you then go to the ES file Explorer it doesn't show there either.
1st time it did this I power off and rebooted to no avail. In the end I just powered off and unplugged the HDD and just plugged it back again, from there its back again.
Its back in both android and openElec..
Hope this helps

Dave

DroidboxNumpty

Feb 23, 2016
I am having a similar issue usually when copying large amounts of data (tens of GBs) to an internal disk (Samsung 2TB SATA).
The devices (sda and sda1) disappear from the /dev directory. I have gone in via ssh and mount shows the HDD mounted as /dev/sda1 on /var/media/HDD. Once the issue occurs, the mount command shows the same info for /dev/sda1, but the HDD looks empty if I navigate to /var/media/HDD (that's if the unit hasn't locked-up completely requiring a restart via the remote).

I have tried soft reboot using the 'reboot' command, but that doesn't bring the device back - only a power cycle.

Is this likely to be a power issue ?

Is there a way I can copy to the disk when using android ? e.g. a samba server ?

This is the end of the KODI log when it happens..
00:00:15 T:2945446976 NOTICE: ## OpenELEC Addon ## 0.6.8
00:00:15 T:2928669760 NOTICE: StorageServer Module loaded RUN
00:00:15 T:2928669760 NOTICE: StorageClient-2.5.4 Starting server
00:00:16 T:2758800448 NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
00:00:16 T:2750411840 NOTICE: Thread AlarmClock start, auto delete: false
00:00:17 T:2758800448 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
00:00:18 T:3039728688 NOTICE: UDev: Added /var/media/HDD
19:56:00 T:3039728688 NOTICE: UDev: Removed /var/media/HDD
19:56:22 T:3039728688 NOTICE: UDev: Added /var/media/HDD
19:56:22 T:3039728688 NOTICE: UDev: Removed /var/media/HDD
19:56:24 T:3039728688 NOTICE: UDev: Added /var/media/HDD

I don't currently have a USB-SATA enclosure to try the disk running from a separate power source, but I shouldn't have to.

Qaisir

Nov 10, 2015
This is most likely the power issue and in this case you can disconnect the power adaptor and then reconnect and see if that works, if not then disconnect the HDD from the device and then reconnect it.
To transfer file from internal storage to external storage(HDD) make sure you have turned on Root Explorer option which you can find under Tools in Ex File Explorer.

Last edited:

DroidboxNumpty

Feb 23, 2016
Of course, power cycling sorts it out, but I had this happen before to the extent that the partition table eventually got corrupted - I was emailing support direct at that time, not using the forums.
If you're admitting that it's a power issue, then the box is not fit for purpose.

I can't copy large amounts of data to the internal drive. In fact after a few power cycles yesterday, I couldn't even copy an albums worth of mp3 files before it crashed halfway through - it's almost as if it the time before crashing was related to temperature - as the box had been (mostly) on for a while - though it wasn't hot to the touch, just warm as you'd expect.

I ran fsck -n on the disk (/dev/sda1) before copying the mp3's from a windows PC, and no errors were reported. The datasheet for the 2TB disk, says the average read/write power is 2.3W, so about 0.5A at 5V.

If power is the problem, what's the solution ? - I don't accept power cycling, or physically removing the disk and re-installing it !

Reactions: sean99

Actual

Aug 7, 2015
Based on this and the fact I have to remove my HDD every few days and reinstall it, the box is faulty and I am returning mine ASAP.
I would advise anyone who wants internal storage for downloads etc to steer clear of the T8-S and one presumes the T8-S plus has the same fault.
Successive firmware releases haven't addressed the problem.

Actual

Aug 7, 2015
Dave, earlier up in the thread you said "I have the T8s and this has happened to me 3 times " - you've clearly experienced this problem before. What was your solution?

DroidboxNumpty

Feb 23, 2016
I have received in the post today a USB - SATA enclosure so that I can try my disk on one of the external USB ports instead of the internal one (which is also USB using the GenesysLogic GL830 USB2.0 - SATA bridge controller device). This seems to have a 5V supply completely separate from the other USB ports and I'm suspecting that it is either not capable or is limiting the current to the attached device to the extent that it drops out - frequently in my case - though I haven't attempted to measure it to check.

I bought the box specifically so that I could use an internal disk though, so I am likely to want to return it also regardless of trying my disk externally. I've been through countless openelec resets and disk reformatting, and still have the problem.
Maybe a H/W recall is required ?
I'm sure most users would accept a hardware modification internally if the issue can be fixed in this way ? It would save an awfult lot of forum traffic on the issue and result in a bunch of happy users..

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Yes, when I got the box I used the T8 power adapter which caused problems with the hard drives power. I changed it over to the right one and all was fine until an update and yes it happen again.
Since the last one it's been fine, I have my box in a good vented area so it doesn't get to hot.
I like my T8-S and yes sometimes kodi freezes and every now and then have to do a reset, but as android boxes go it been the best for me.
Better the devil you no.

Reactions: Sal

Actual

Aug 7, 2015
I've only ever used the power adapter for the T8-S as provided by DB. My T8-S is well away from other heat sources and sits on a glass stand on its own shelf. It never gets too warm, so I'm not sure I believe the overheating issue. Sometimes the HDD disconnects within seconds of switching on. I rarely leave my T8-S switched on for longer than a few hours at a time.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Yes that was my fault, I thought it was the same power....but it's not.
Mine normally did it when switching back from Openelec and the message came up. Then I would have to power off and reconnect it.
I would connect and disconnect it a few times so I get good connection.
I have to do this with my speakers as the banana plugs oxidise so doing this makes a better connection. Whether this works im not sure, but it hasn't done it for awhile.
Best of luck

Stuart Capon

Dec 24, 2015
I have the same issue t8s plus open elec.
The malfunction happens in both openelec and android.
It is now to the point where it happens each time I use it even with small files, even if the box is cold.
I feel this is a box issue too not a software problem.