thegazsheard

Dec 7, 2015
I bought a caddy for my internal HDD as I had this issue too. I have to keep unplugging and plugging the caddy back into the USB when I first start my box every morning. I think the box isn't supplying enough power, even though the light for the caddy comes on straight away if I forget to unplug and plug in first... Irrigardless I'm still happy with my box. It recognises my own powered HDD all the time, that's my main one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DroidboxNumpty

Feb 23, 2016
So yesterday, I formatted my 2TB disk in my PC with an exFAT filesystem. Put it in Droidbox, and despite an openelec reset, it wasn't recognised - never got a message saying that the disk was mounted.
Confirmed by using the 'mount' command via ssh.
Today, USB3 HDD caddy arrived. Now connected to DB via one of the USB ports, and it's working absolutely fine. Copying large amounts of data over network from PC, while playing a movie file.

So the 500mA rated USB2.0 ports (or are they non-standard and can supply more?) can supply enough power, but not the internal circuitry that is handling the internal HDD.

There's a FET or similar controlling the power to the internal HDD. Perhaps this is just part of some current limiting circuitry, or some internal I/O in the box is controlling this supply ? Whatever it is, it seems like there's a design error., and possibly not a hard one to fix given access to a schematic of this circuitry.

Poor show DB. I await a response from staff that says I'm barking up the wrong tree, and/or where we go from here..

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Am going to put my 1tb hdd into a usb3 hdd caddy on t8-s plus as have had enough disconnecting/reconnecting as well. Will the linux formatted hdd work as is connecting with usb back to box? Cheers

Last edited:

thegazsheard

Dec 7, 2015
Am going to put my 1tb hdd into a usb3 hdd caddy on t8-s plus as have had enough disconnecting/reconnecting as well. Will the linux formatted hdd work as is connecting with usb back to box? Cheers
I know a USB 2.0 caddy (edited to say) in my instance needs unplugging and plugging in every startup to be recognised both in Openelec and Android side.

Last edited:

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Cheers for that, not really bothered about openelec tho mate. As long as es file explorer will see it that'll do me.

thegazsheard

Dec 7, 2015
Es recognises it no problem, just pull out and pull back in (immortal words uttered by my old man lol). Interestingly though, I have a USB splitter, my main HDD is self powered, the caddy powered by the box, when I plug my main one into the splitter, the caddy then the box they all start first time...

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Lol that sounds like it's grabbing an extra bit of juice from your main hdd, @DroidboxNumpty in an earlier post said his 2tb hdd solely powers from his box. Fingers crossed then!

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Anyone with regularly disconnecting (internal) hard drives on a T8-S or T8-S Plus, please e-mail us again ( [email protected] ).
Please include "FORUM" and "Chris/SilentlyScreaming" (me!) in your subject, with your order ID and postcode within the main message, and mention the reason for your message is issues with the hard drive disconnecting. I'm going to run some tests on the total current pulled with the drives I have here, it could be there was a batch of PSUs that don't quite cut the mustard. We do test our hardware prior to dispatch, but it could be that we're not mirroring real-world usage when it comes to peak power consumption.
This is currently a personal theory, not something official, however DroidBOX will obviously endeavour to get this sorted out for anyone effected.

DroidboxNumpty

Feb 23, 2016
I know a USB 2.0 caddy needs unplugging and plugging in every startup to be recognised both in Openelec and Android side.

This isn't true in my case. The caddy is plugged in before I power the droidbox, and the disk is recognised with no issues

Reactions: sean99

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
My usb 3 caddy came today and ur right mate it powers on solely through the usb and is very responsive as well.

thegazsheard

Dec 7, 2015
This isn't true in my case. The caddy is plugged in before I power the droidbox, and the disk is recognised with no issues
Apologies there, my wording was missed placed, (smart phone not so smart lol). I ment in my instance... Sorry for any miss information... damn smart phone...[emoji5]

Minkbomb

Sep 5, 2015
My T8-S has started disconnecting the HDD as well , Openelec keeps saying HDD Removed etc.
Ill send my details as per above.
HDD doesn't show up in file explorer etc.

Its a 400gb standard HDD

Ive emailed in my details .

Cheers

Last edited:

martin hogarth

Feb 8, 2016
Add me to the list for internal and external drive disconnects. Started in the last week, have the T8S for just over a month. I now have a corrupt 3TB external powered drive (yes, really!) and the internal HDD doesn't show under OpenElec or Android. If there's no fix I'll return it to Amazon for a refund and quote this thread.........hopefully there is....email sent

Tahir

Jul 29, 2015
Mine has started playing up again, tried pulling the drive out and it didn't work. After booting in to android which I don't normally use in hope, the the OTA updater was showing an update so I updated and after rebooting the hdd was showing again in android. Then I booted into openelec and the hdd was gone. This is becoming a pain...