djandymyers

Apr 7, 2017
Hi guys.
I have recently been trying to get Kodi 17 Krypton going on my T8S Plus V2 box.
For some reason, every time I play any source, movie, TV show or live stream the picture judders continuously so much so that I cannot watch the programme.
I have tried changing TV settings, device settings for display and Hz within the android box settings and also Kodi itself... All with no joy.
Oddly when using SPMC or DBMC I don't have such issues at all. However, I know that as people progress their add-ons and builds within Kodi it will become the choice of platform moving forward.

Can anyone give an explanation as to what's going on and an idea of how to stop the issue? I've tried asking David at Droidbox and he doesn't seem to know why. I'm completely at a loss now and this is my last resort.

Also, does anyone know whether Krypton builds work in SPMC 16.7.0 OR DBMC latest version? I haven't tried as I assumed they both were based on Kodi 16 Jarvis and that complications may occur.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

dangerzone777

Mar 26, 2016
Hi,

It may be worth trying to do a fresh reinstall of Kodi and also the latest version is 17.4.

Also Krypton builds will not work on SPMC 16.7.0 or DBMC.

djandymyers

Apr 7, 2017
Hi @dangerzone777
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried a fresh reinstall of Kodi 17 and have also tried a factory reset of my droidbox. Still does the same thing. I'm completely lost with it.
I've read 17 should work fine with Android 5 and above. My box has 5.1.1 apparently. I really don't know why it's behaving like it is. Really am gutted.

Also, thanks for clearing up the Krypton builds on DBMC and SPMC for me. I did indeed think they wouldn't work.

I don't know what else to do!

dangerzone777

Mar 26, 2016
Hi,

I have got the same Droid Box as yourself and I know it doesn't matter about having version 5.1.1 because Krypton is compatible with it. I have version 6.0.1 on mine and an update was released some time ago via the Droid Box team with OTA Updates. It may be worth trying that.

The two sites I go for Kodi is the official Kodi site or Play Store.

The only other idea I've got is to change your HDMI setting in the Droid box - Settings> Display> Screen Resolution to 1080p x 24hz .

In Kodi main menu System> Player > Videos > Render Method (Try changing that to different settings).

djandymyers

Apr 7, 2017
Hi and thanks again for the reply @dangerzone777

I have been regularly checking for an OTA update of my box and it never appears. The last one I did was a fair few months back now so my box remains on Android 5.1.1 with LibreElec covering 16.1 on it. If there's a way to update the system manually by downloading the OTA and installing it via a USB card I would gladly do so, but I guess again I wonder whether this would make any difference. Do you know where I can get hold of the latest OTA for my box? Is it in these forums somewhere?

I only ever download Kodi via the Play Store. That's how I know it is official and is updated whenever one is available.

The render method in Kodi is always greyed out when I look at the videos section. I can't manually change that as Kodi seems to have restricted the changing of this feature/setting. It's just set to auto and is unchangeable.

I have tried changing the HDMI settings on my box previously but have never tried 24hz, I usually have it set to auto again which is 1080p 60hz. As such, I will try 24hz and see how I get on. I swear, if it's as simple as that I'll be absolutely furious with myself.

dangerzone777

Mar 26, 2016
Hi,

The OTA update icon should be on the main Droid box screen , if it is not there go into the Apps also when a new update is available it usually displays it.

djandymyers

Apr 7, 2017
Cheers guys
It turns out my box, as per what David at Droidbox says, is a V1 T8S Plus box, which is why I can't upgrade to the latest firmware and Android 6.

I've tried all of these settings and changes to display etc and absolutely nothing changes for me. I promise something isn't right and I don't know what. All I do know is that I can't use Kodi 17 no matter how much I try. So annoying.

Just wish the video deinterlacing option wasn't greyed out and set to auto because I feel this may actually help.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
So some setting somewhere isn't right.
I've got the same machine as you, run Kodi 17, with everything set to default (auto select on etc)
And I don't get any problems.
Is it possible that the tv is the source of the problem?
Is there anything you can adjust on that or as an experiment try another tv?

djandymyers

Apr 7, 2017
Well @Nigelar I'm down to my last resort of trying a different HDMI cable at the back of the box.
I wouldn't mind either but I purchased 2 high quality HDMI cables in July to ensure the best possible connection and transfer rates were possible for using this and my sky box through my new Samsung 4K tele.
When I get home from work later this afternoon I am going to attempt an older HDMI cable in the back of my Droidbox and see whether or not it improves playback. I'll be shocked if it's this because playback in SPMC and DBMC is absolutely perfect, pointing to it being a compatibility issue with Kodi 17 and my Droidbox. I've never had so much trouble with this box before. Previously it's been brilliant. Bloody Kodi 17!!! meh!

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Well @Nigelar I'm down to my last resort of trying a different HDMI cable at the back of the box.
I wouldn't mind either but I purchased 2 high quality HDMI cables in July to ensure the best possible connection and transfer rates were possible for using this and my sky box through my new Samsung 4K tele.
When I get home from work later this afternoon I am going to attempt an older HDMI cable in the back of my Droidbox and see whether or not it improves playback. I'll be shocked if it's this because playback in SPMC and DBMC is absolutely perfect, pointing to it being a compatibility issue with Kodi 17 and my Droidbox. I've never had so much trouble with this box before. Previously it's been brilliant. Bloody Kodi 17!!! meh!
Hi

Can you please navigate on the page below and test each Kodi v17 version available and see if each one of them behaves the same?

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/old/
and
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm64-v8a/

Also while you can not update android to v6 you can however apply newest LibreELEC beta non official firmware which does supports Kodi v17,and see of the same would occur there.

See link

https://droidboxforums.com/threads/...2-with-kodi-17-3-test-for-t8-s-plus-v1.10120/

Regards

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, I thought the beta LibreELEC 8.0.2 test for the T8 s plus v1 had peen pulled because of the no reboot to android and the only way to get back to android was to flash the T8 s plus v1 1.0.9 firmware again.
So @djandymyers If you want to try It I would get in touch with support to make sure it's ok to try.

djandymyers

Apr 7, 2017
I have managed to find a solution to this, as using any version of Kodi 17 caused problems.

The reason for the problem is the Kodi removal of the amlogic decoder. I haven't a clue why they've done that because simply keeping it wouldn't cause a single issue at all.
I have found an SPMC test build of their version 17.4 dated 31-8-17 and it retains the am codec decoder. I went on to install my favourite build (Pulse) in the Krypton version and it seems to have worked with zero playback judder.

Firstly this proves that Koying is defo still working on a compatible version of SPMC for us all for the future and this means I don't have to go to the extremity of waiting for OTA updates, installing the likes of LibreElec that I haven't used before or have to make do with a juddering Kodi 17.

Thank god for SPMC. It's a godsend!

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
I have managed to find a solution to this, as using any version of Kodi 17 caused problems.

The reason for the problem is the Kodi removal of the amlogic decoder. I haven't a clue why they've done that because simply keeping it wouldn't cause a single issue at all.
I have found an SPMC test build of their version 17.4 dated 31-8-17 and it retains the am codec decoder. I went on to install my favourite build (Pulse) in the Krypton version and it seems to have worked with zero playback judder.

Firstly this proves that Koying is defo still working on a compatible version of SPMC for us all for the future and this means I don't have to go to the extremity of waiting for OTA updates, installing the likes of LibreElec that I haven't used before or have to make do with a juddering Kodi 17.

Thank god for SPMC. It's a godsend!
Have been using this version alpha 8 for a while now, had to turn off in hardware acceleration etc to get a stream from a black screen

djandymyers

Apr 7, 2017
Well, I'm not 100% sure which alpha version it is that was updated and released a couple of days ago but this version is what I have installed and it seems fairly stable. Only had 1 instance of a video not playing for me and the system froze. As such, I don't think they're that far away from a finalised versions for proper release now.