banjo

Dec 4, 2014
Hi All - First post and all that.... please be gentle.

Receive my X7 Ultimate today and I dont think its right... well I know its not.

Can someone help me...

Upon booting I get the very basic Android homescreen with XBMC, Tv Catchup etc on the home page with weather and news on the right.

I have setup and added a PLay account and the Apps have updated. Ive launched XBMC and nothing is in there, I have clicked the Droibox Wizard Addon and there is nothing in there either, Im assuming if the X7 file was in there, it would bring this all to life - but theres nothing in there to run.

I notice nothing else seems to work, ie TVCatchup or Youtube.

{Yes my Wifi is working!}

Any help most welcome, keen to see this box in action!

Graham

Jul 26, 2014
There should be icons when you select droidbox wizard. The one to choose in your case is X7,Q7 but if they are not there it is a problem. You have to give some time after booting Xbmc for updates to install maybe this could be the problem. If it was mine I would go into settings on the android boot up screen and select advanced settings which should take you to android settings just like you see on an android phone. Scroll down the left to apps and select. Next on the list of apps on the right scroll down to Xbmc and select. Click clear data and exit back to home screen. Now when you select Xbmc it will boot performing first run as if you are using it for the first time. After it boots leave it for about 10 minutes to update addons. Then go into program addons and run wizard.
I am only a fairly new user and I am sure a staff member will be here to help you soon but for now I hope this helps assuming you have the same launcher as my X7 ultimate.

banjo

Dec 4, 2014
Thanks Graham - but this hasnt worked. I found similar instructions to yours, and followed both and still no joy. XMBC looking very lonely and bleak! {and boring!}

Bit disappointing so far.... hope I dont have a dud!

Graham

Jul 26, 2014
Another approach would be to follow the same process but uninstall Xbmc and then using Google chrome on the x7 use the link on this forum only for X7 and Q7 to install Xbmc gotham assuming the WiFi isn't faulty on your unit.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@banjo Sorry about this, though from the description it sounds like a software issue, I suspect the device itself is fine.
We can sort it out in our office, but then you'd need to wait for the postman in both directions.
If you're happy to run through a couple of procedures, then we can hopefully get your device as it should be...

First, shut down your X7 and disconnect the power lead.
Now look on the bottom of your device and find the little recovery switch (see https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/how-to-access-your-droidboxs-recovery-menu/ for a picture of it).
Hold down this button, reconnect the power lead and turn on your X7.
Keep the button held down.
You'll see a text-based Android Recovery menu appear (you can release the switch now).
Using your remote control (or a USB keyboard if you prefer), select the Wipe data/factory reset option.
Confirm that you're certain.
Once the process completes, reboot the device and if any set up screens appear, complete them.
Select the launcher you want to use, if asked, then do NOTHING for 20 minutes. Don't open a program please, and definitely do not turn off the X7.
During this time, the X7 should now automatically reinstall all the missing apps.
To make certain the X7 has finished reinstalling applications, bring up the list of all installed apps after twenty minutes. The list shouldn't continue to expand.

Now you can run the DroidBOX Wizard again (see https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/how-to-use-the-droidbox-wizard-add-on-in-xbmc/ for the procedure, especially removing the power lead).
Next, run the Play Store app again (as you did previously) and enable auto-updates (see https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/googles-play-store-signing-in-and-auto-updates/ for info about that).

There is a very small chance that the apps won't return - if this is the case, it is possible we accidentally flashed a firmware to your device in the office that didn't include our standard range of apps.
If you find the add-ons in XBMC result in a lot of error messages, check if your ISP has family friendly filters put in place (see https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/uk-isps-blocking-content-how-to-remove-2/ ).

If the above doesn't help, there are two options left - we can run you through the process of flashing a firmware to your X7 (you'll need a Windows PC and a microUSB cable), or we can arrange to do this in our office. In either case, please e-mail us ( [email protected] ) with the info mentioned here - http://droidboxforums.com/threads/what-to-include-if-you-need-to-e-mail-us.364/

Once again, sorry for the X7's lack of apps etc, hopefully we'll get this sorted ASAP.

Reactions: admin