lightbodyae55

Jan 3, 2017
Hi

I ordered an imxqpro v2 for my son sometime ago, and installed it at home here with no problems.

He has now moved out and taken the box with him, He has had BT infinity installed in his property, and has asked me to reinstall his box for him.

Having read through the forum and the how to pages I came across the articles on on BT as the ISP and add on problems.

I have checked his parental controls and they are turned off, and also disabled the smart setup wizard, and then tried to install the imxqpro v2, however I had a number of issues which I need help to solve.

When I installed the box I decided to do a factory reset as it was being installed in a different place and with a different ISP. I noticed that their was an update via OTA so I tried to download this update and all that happened was that it went into a loop of retrying to download the update when eventually an error message arrived on screen that stated that there was a HTTP Error. This made me wonder if there was a problem with the BT set up!

I then tried to download some apps from google play store (tv player uktv play, apps) they downloaded form google play, however when I tried to use them, I got a connection error.

I then tried to install Kodi 17.6 and once updated via google play I tried to install Sean99 build as per his latest instructions on the forum (perksmedia.net/wizard) having tried this I got an error message that there was no connection.

So can anyone shed some light on where I am going wrong, and hopefully I can get his box connected for him so he can enjoy watching what he wants to on TV.

Any help and info would be appreciated.

lightbodyae55

lightbodyae55

Jan 3, 2017

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
+1 on the factory reset requiring a redo of the normal process, I appreciate you've checked them already, just leaving a note for future visitors of this thread.

Using the browser app is definitely the way to go, in terms of testing, until this is sorted. Kodi's errors are normally generic and not very helpful with troubleshooting.

Let's see if this is DNS based... into the browser, and where you'd normally type in the URL (google.co.uk for example), instead please type 216.58.206.99

a) If this loads up OK, now try to visit google.co.uk using that address, rather than the numbers (IP address).
If this does NOT load, the issue is related to DNS (Domain Name System). You could try manually setting the DNS servers on your DroidBOX. Head to Settings, then Network, then WiFi or Ethernet (depending on which you're using). You need to manually specify the details for the connection, it may say something like Static or DHCP. Make a note of your current internal IP address (so something like 192.168.1.23 or 192.168.0.40 ) . Choose Static/Manual and enter in the IP address you already had (more work needed here to prevent possible other issues in the future, but we can return to that later). If asked about the netmask, leave it at the default value. For the primary and secondary DNS servers, enter
208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (if you are happy to use OpenDNS servers)
or
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (these are Google's DNS servers)

b) If google.co.uk DOES load as well as 216.58.206.99, then DNS isn't the issue here, and Smart Setup or Parental Controls ARE still the most likely culprits.

Just realised, first thing to try before all of this (if not done since the factory reset of the iMXQpro v2) is rebooting the modem/router. It should have a power button, but if not, just carefully remove the modem/router's power lead, wait 5 seconds and re-attach it. Wait for the device's lights to indicate that power is on, WiFi is up and that the internet connection has been re-established (that is assuming it has lights for all of these).

Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: Paul B

lightbodyae55

Jan 3, 2017
+1 on the factory reset requiring a redo of the normal process, I appreciate you've checked them already, just leaving a note for future visitors of this thread.

Using the browser app is definitely the way to go, in terms of testing, until this is sorted. Kodi's errors are normally generic and not very helpful with troubleshooting.

Let's see if this is DNS based... into the browser, and where you'd normally type in the URL (google.co.uk for example), instead please type 216.58.206.99

a) If this loads up OK, now try to visit google.co.uk using that address, rather than the numbers (IP address).
If this does NOT load, the issue is related to DNS (Domain Name System). You could try manually setting the DNS servers on your DroidBOX. Head to Settings, then Network, then WiFi or Ethernet (depending on which you're using). You need to manually specify the details for the connection, it may say something like Static or DHCP. Make a note of your current internal IP address (so something like 192.168.1.23 or 192.168.0.40 ) . Choose Static/Manual and enter in the IP address you already had (more work needed here to prevent possible other issues in the future, but we can return to that later). If asked about the netmask, leave it at the default value. For the primary and secondary DNS servers, enter
or

b) If google.co.uk DOES load as well as 216.58.206.99, then DNS isn't the issue here, and Smart Setup or Parental Controls ARE still the most likely culprits.

Just realised, first thing to try before all of this (if not done since the factory reset of the iMXQpro v2) is rebooting the modem/router. It should have a power button, but if not, just carefully remove the modem/router's power lead, wait 5 seconds and re-attach it. Wait for the device's lights to indicate that power is on, WiFi is up and that the internet connection has been re-established (that is assuming it has lights for all of these).

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Chris

I will try this over the weekend.

With the BT router when I turned the Smart setup wizard off you have to save the settings and then restart the router which it then reboots itself, this i did twice, just to make sure that I had rebooted with the new settings, so i am assuming that has worked properly. I know that the internet is working as my sons tablet and smartphone is working via the router, so I guess that it is one of the other problems you suggest.

Thanks for the info.

lightbodyae55

lightbodyae55

Jan 3, 2017

or

Let us know how it goes.

Hi Chris

I have tried the above regarding 216.58.206.99 and google.co.uk and both loaded via chrome on the droidbox, so as you say it is not a DNS problem. I also tried some other sites which worked perfectly through chrome.

Smart setup is turned off as well as parental controls are turned off.

I did check the ip address on both the BT Home Hub 6 and the settings (Cog Picture) icon on the home page of the droidbox, and they were the same, just as the MAC code was also the same on both.

However I still had the same problem with the OTA update, which still went into the retry loop, and eventually gave the error that it is an HTTP Error, which leads me to think it is obviously a download problem.

Any ideas on what to do now?

Thanks for your help so far.

lightbodyae55

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
OTA error: I should have remembered this one, can you try this: Settings>Apps>OTA Updates (might need to scroll right once or twice to get to the right list)>Force Stop and confirm, if available>Clear Data and Confirm .... then try again

With the URLs that are failing in Kodi, try them in Chrome on the DroidBOX. The one for Perk should display a message along the lines of "Oi, nosey, go away" (they check the Browser Agent I assume). If it fails, type in the exact URL you used here in a reply and we'll check it out.

lightbodyae55

Jan 3, 2017
OTA error: I should have remembered this one, can you try this: Settings>Apps>OTA Updates (might need to scroll right once or twice to get to the right list)>Force Stop and confirm, if available>Clear Data and Confirm .... then try again

With the URLs that are failing in Kodi, try them in Chrome on the DroidBOX. The one for Perk should display a message along the lines of "Oi, nosey, go away" (they check the Browser Agent I assume). If it fails, type in the exact URL you used here in a reply and we'll check it out.

Hi Chris

Thanks I will try the force stop later.

I did try the the URL for Perks Media wizard in chrome on the droidbox and yes it did have the message that you say, so i am guessing that it is working properly.

Thanks once again for your help

lightbodyae55