skynet2001

Jun 30, 2016
Open Elec does not stop at 15.2 , it stops for DB at 15.2.For me i bought also the DB for the possibillity to run Open Elec.I still have the Dutch belief ("alles komt goed").
I have to say that the performance of Android in combination with Kodi is not bad, also i discovered that making a network conection in Android has to be done for the cable by using a statisc ip adress, otherwise the box will not detect the connection.
For me the DB is not a faillure but a device which has t o be developed further, this can done by taking the complaints of customers/users seriously

toonarmy9752

Sep 28, 2016
you take me literally..... it does stop for openelec on this box - Librelec seems to be the way forward for Droidbox - thus dropping OE completely

toonarmy9752

Sep 28, 2016
to a degree yes but i rarely use any android apps - the primary use for me would have been Openelec - so the risk wasnt ever that great and you can access the apps from within OE anyway = maybe there is a risk there too but as i said i rarely use any android apps - too clunky for my liking -

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
This extract is from someone asking @LibreElec on twitter what is the difference between Openelec and LibreElec ? @johnny4793 @KodiTV You're comparing 60+ developers who collaborate, communicate, and regularly release software with a one-man hobby that doesn't. Next Q?

So LibreElec is a hobby and I so wish I didn't update the T8 mini from Openelec 6.95.3 Kodi 16.1 with the latest update. It runs about as smooth as a hedgehog:mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: sblabs

skynet2001

Jun 30, 2016
This extract is from someone asking @LibreElec on twitter what is the difference between Openelec and LibreElec ? @johnny4793 @KodiTV You're comparing 60+ developers who collaborate, communicate, and regularly release software with a one-man hobby that doesn't. Next Q?

So LibreElec is a hobby and I so wish I didn't update the T8 mini from Openelec 6.9.5 Kodi 16.1 with the latest update. It runs about as smooth as a hedgehog:mad:
So the the question is; Why dit someone diced to go for the Libreelec option when OE was solid

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
People on here were clamouring for a Jarvis version of openelec. Lots of noise. Sadly, there wasn't a stable version of Jarvis on openelec. Only a beta version. Which is probably not a good idea for a production box. The beta version had been in development for some time and had no release date. The developers seemed to have lost interest. Maybe things have changed and a stable version is available now. To meet demand for an openelec like solution, Droidbox opted for Librelec which did have a stable Jarvis version (albeit it does seem to have some issues).
I had tested an openelec test 16.1 version and it looked OK to me, but maybe Droidbox found something fatal and changed track.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
That same beta version o e 6.95.3 nigelar runs rings around the stable l e 7.02.088. Whats done is done now.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Savage

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Quite possibly Sean. I answered the question about "why".
As I never used either oe or le and am entirely comfortable using android without any complaints whatsoever, I am probably the last person to offer any opinion on performance of either!

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
People on here were clamouring for a Jarvis version of openelec. Lots of noise. Sadly, there wasn't a stable version of Jarvis on openelec. Only a beta version. Which is probably not a good idea for a production box. The beta version had been in development for some time and had no release date. The developers seemed to have lost interest. Maybe things have changed and a stable version is available now. To meet demand for an openelec like solution, Droidbox opted for Librelec which did have a stable Jarvis version (albeit it does seem to have some issues).
I had tested an openelec test 16.1 version and it looked OK to me, but maybe Droidbox found something fatal and changed track.
When we tested LibreELEC it was fine and never had any issues, until it went live on the OTA updater then it became sluggish. Had to play around with settings to get a happy medium.

toonarmy9752

Sep 28, 2016
Quite possibly Sean. I answered the question about "why".
As I never used either oe or le and am entirely comfortable using android without any complaints whatsoever, I am probably the last person to offer any opinion on performance of either!

oh without doubt OE at 6.95.3 leaves latest Librelec standing on the grid......

But why and more importantly on what basis was LE chosen over a tried and tested OE OS.

Last edited:

toonarmy9752

Sep 28, 2016
When we tested LibreELEC it was fine and never had any issues, until it went live on the OTA updater then it became sluggish. Had to play around with settings to get a happy medium.
Droidbox and I have tried everything here to get LE to work on this box and it fails everytime .

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
i think the T8S-Plus still is a marvellous box, did you guys try the LibreELEC-DroidBOX.arm-T8SPlus-7.0.2-update.zip maybe that will fix it?

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
Maybe a good option would be for DBX to release OE at 6.95.3.zip file that we can flash in recovery then we have the option of OE or LE.

toonarmy9752

Sep 28, 2016
yup - OE at 6.95.3 is superb as a release even at beta..... i use it on a Zotac box in our living room...... id go even further if there was a reflash of the entire box solely with OE and future updates of it I would gladly do without android