strandy

Oct 3, 2014
Ok, I installed HELIX 14.0 used the droidwizard and the box crashed whilst installing addons. Another disappointing failure. I am going to order a new power supply for the box and try that, if that fails I’m stumped and will need to return it to you.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
iMX6 work best with Frodo. With some reconfiguring in the app, they can work with Gotham. Helix hasn't even reached Beta stage yet (and our Wizard doesn't download/update XBMC itself), and the DroidBOX Wizard hasn't been rewritten for it. In terms of the power supply, if you return it and the device to us, we'll make sure you get a working combination sent back to you.

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
iMX6 work best with Frodo.
I understand that, I tried a different version to ensure xbmc wasn't at fault.

With some reconfiguring in the app, they can work with Gotham. Helix hasn't even reached Beta stage yet (and our Wizard doesn't download/update XBMC itself), and the DroidBOX Wizard hasn't been rewritten for it.
I updated xbmc myself at no stage have I suggested the wizard updated it.

In terms of the power supply, if you return it and the device to us, we'll make sure you get a working combination sent back to you.
Thank you. I shall be returning the device in the next few days, I purchased a power supply from xbmcgadgets order reference no: NR-3279 Order ID 109638 unfortunately this too was faulty, I have been in contact with support throughout and have in fairness been dealt with extremely well, apart from a few small hiccups.

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
Box delivered yesterday can you please keep me updated as to progress.

***update***
Just had an email a replacement box is on its way. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisM

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
****UPDATE****

Took delivery today of my supposedly replacement box, not a bit of it. I received the same dodgy box back with a new power supply. The box is doing exactly the same thing as my original complaint and isn't worth the plastic it is encased in. Very annoyed at this turn of events and feel I've been taken for a mug. Please see attached videos/pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbknkgdugt9b9pn/20141107_154656.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb7nxl904nvhkzc/20141107_153912.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/lightbox/home

Last edited:

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
I've contacted support twice in respect of this since yesterday, yet to receive even a standard response. Next stop twitter.

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
Hi there. you contacted at the end of the day, that's why it took longer to get replied.
I checked the records and looks like we have updated the firmware and replaced the power adapter which was dead. As well we tested the XBMC to be fully functional.
From the video you sent looks like you need to replace the HDMI cable as device worked 100% well on our side.

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
I have used numerous HDMI cables, I have also updated the firmware twice myself with firmware supplied by your support neither are the issue. If as you claim it worked 100% your end how come when I received the box back it was exactly as it was when I returned it to you ie: all apps still in place and xbmc clean with no addons installed ? The problems I am having are when installing addons the box crashes during the process. I have then installed addons manually as I thought the wizard was at fault, doing so allowed me to add addons but the box then crashes when attempting to run any of them. None of this adds up !

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
***UPDATE***

Went out and purchased a brand spanking new HDMI cable, connected up box on a different TV set to avoid possibility of conflict with others, guess what, Still crashes !!

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
Sent: 10 November 2014 10:08
To:
Subject: RE: Your XBMC Gadgets HUB order D0611143535 has been shipped [XBM: 70585]-

Good afternoon,

We are really sorry that your device isn't operating correctly. We checked your item several times and it was working good in our office.
We will cover your shipping expenses, please send it back to us using Royal Mail First Class Signed For, it should cost 4.30£. We'll refund your money.
We will replace your item and will test a new one, to avoid any issues.

Please send us just the device itself - no cardboard box, leads, remote control, power supply etc - to:

My reply:

Vlad,

When the box was returned to me it was in the exact state as it was when I posted it to you. Nothing whatsoever had changed on the box, all you really done was replaced the power adapter. I am very angry at how this has been handled, the support is atrocious both via email and the forum. You say you will replace this box, therefore why not send me a replacement unit and I will return this one once I receive a working unit. At least that way I can be sure the same unit won’t be returned.

Regards

Last edited:

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
***update***

The Imx6 box is still buggered, an offer of replacement has been made, but first I must once again return the box that isn't working, I feel this is unacceptable for the following reasons:
I returned the dodgy box for replacement or repair, it was returned to me in the exact same state I sent it nothing whatsoever had changed on the box. On top of that I purchased a new power supply from support prior to posting the box back, this was to eliminate my psu being at fault for my problems I paid £4.99 for the psu it was buggered when I received it, totally dead. I returned the faulty psu along with the faulty iMX6 as far as I can see, support attached the faulty psu to the faulty box, presumed my issue was power fault. replaced psu and sent the whole lot back thinking job done.

I also purchased a new HDMI cable as it was suggested here my issue could be faulty HDMI I knew it wasn't as I had attached the iMX6 to other HDMI leads and tvs I have at home all produced the same results, nonetheless I purchased a HDMI lead anyway just to be extra cautious, it returned the same issue.

I have suggested support send me a replacement, when I recieve it I will then return the faulty box I have here, this way I know I won't be sent the same box back as has already happened. I have no wish to be obstinate about the problem, merely wishing to have a working box. I don't feel it is an unreasonable request given the issues to date.

I must say support here on the forum is pretty poor, as is support via email, responses from email support are from various agents, therefore causing the same issues to be repeated over and over. I am a moderator on a tech/video forum which wouldn't last two ticks if members had to wait this long on responses.

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
Sent: 11 November 2014 11:25
To:
Subject: RE: Your XBMC Gadgets HUB order D0611143535 has been shipped [XBM: 71425]-

Good afternoon,

We promise we will double check the item in our office, and replace it. We'll cover your shipping expenses. We understand you are deeply concerned and unhappy with the box, but we'll do all to fix the issue and definitely replace the box.

Regards,
Vlad

----- Original Message -----
Vlad,

When the box was returned to me it was in the exact state as it was when I posted it to you. Nothing whatsoever had changed on the box, all you really done was replaced the power adapter. I am very angry at how this has been handled, the support is atrocious both via email and the forum. You say you will replace this box, therefore why not send me a replacement unit and I will return this one once I receive a working unit. At least that way I can be sure the same unit won’t be returned.

Regards

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
Sent: 12 November 2014 12:51
To:
Subject: RE: Your XBMC Gadgets HUB order D0611143535 has been shipped [XBM: 72054]-

Good afternoon,

We are working within the policy of this company - we can replace a device once a customer has returned the faulty one to us. We apologise for any inconvenice caused.

Regards,
Vlad

Good afternoon Vlad;

Forgive here but that response is a complete and utter nonsense. Customer service as clearly not a priority of xbmc gadgets, let me state clearly here If you’re not prepared to rectify this issue I will not go away quietly, I would have been perfectly content iof you had made an effort to repair the box when I returned it to you, this didn’t happen and since then I have been consistently fobbed off.

Do the right thing Vlad.

Regards

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
An effort was made to repair it. You can repeat multiple times your counter-claim that nothing was done with the device, but the records show that it passed testing. Obviously something has gone wrong somewhere, but venting here about what you think are lies won't move us forward.
Customer service is a high priority for us - the over whelming majority of your fellow customers would disagree with you, but as they've had a better experience, I can see why this might not alter your current opinion of us.
That you've had a bad experience is regrettable, and I'm hoping we can move forward from here, and that the replacement will restore your faith in the hardware, if not this company's policies.

We've agreed (assuming the fault is still present) to replace it with a brand new device, but as with all returns/refunds, this takes place one the original is back with us.

We're sorry you don't like this business practice, but that is how the company is run. That won't change. The longer we argue about it, the longer you'll be without the replacement device.
If you want to be loud about it, that is your right, but please be clear that the delay between the a new replacement being offered, and said replacement device being sent is not currently something we are controlling, it is in your hands entirely.

Taking a step back from timing and policies you disagree with, if your main concern is that you will receive the same item back again, why not get a black permanent marker (or UV pen if you prefer) and make a mark somewhere on the case? This seems like a solution to your concern, you will know the replacement device is not the same, your postage will be refunded. From here, I can't see a logical reason for the replacement process to not proceed.

I would normally prefer to send this sort of message privately, but as you posted here, I didn't want to leave it unanswered.

Last edited:

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
I appreciate the response and think it best we discuss the issues openly.

Let me address the points made above,

Ok;
(1) you say an effort was made to repair the box, yet also claim the box worked fine therefore what 'effort' was there in the alleged repair ? I re flashed firmware on the box sent by support on two occasions each time the iMX reacted as it did in the videos I supplied, therefore it isn't a firmware issue.

(2) 'venting' is in little overreaction, I'm explaining my position NOT venting, at no stage did I claim anyone was lying either !

(3) "We've agreed (assuming the fault is still present) to replace it with a brand new device" here is the crux of my problem, there is an issue with the box as I clearly highlighted in the videos, now your support claim it didn't have that issue when they received the unit, whose to say that claim won't be made again ? Are you denying the evidence in the video ?

(4) You are right it it my right to voice my concerns, if you feel I am being 'loud about it' so be it, that will continue until I am happy with the service, so far that hasn't exactly been the case !

(5) I could of course take the trouble to purchase a black permanent marker and mark the box in some way, but what on earth would that prove ? I would rather the issue was dealt with in an amicable manner, which of course I presumed would happen when I originally returned the device !

(6) On advice from support I purchased a power supply from you I done so in the hope of resolving the issue myself rather than send the box back, this power supply was faulty also in fact it was dead when I received it, was the power supply tested before it was sold to me ? If so this too is hardly consistent with your comment above "Customer service is a high priority for us" this is another reason for my lack of faith !

(7) I would have preferred not to have had to get involved in any debate in respect of this issue, had the device worked as it should we wouldn't be here. Had the device been replaced as I was told it would, we wouldn't be here. Had the psu I purchased been working as it should we wouldn't be here ! All variables which were avoidable !

If you still think I am argumentative and loud then so be it, I maintain I am merely battling my corner as Ive been badly treated to date on this issue. We are talking about a £40 box here and as such if you're not prepared to meet me with a solution, then I'm afraid I will continue to be 'LOUD' as it is the only course of action I am left with.

I should also have added, I have made every effort to avoid sending the box to you in the first instance, I have flased new firmware twice, uninstalled xbmc numerous times and reinstalled, I have uninstalled xbmc totally and installed tvmc again same fault produced. I have purchased a new power supply from you, I have purchased new HDMI cable after you suggested that may be my issue, all of which failed. I have never once asked for a new box, you suggested a replacement !

Last edited:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
1) My understanding from the team in the office is that the firmware flash they carried out there was the work/repair they referred to.
2) I'm genuinely sorry if I mis-read your tone, it is possible that I took umbrage where none was intended, if so, sorry.
3) No, I'm not denying the evidence in the video, I've referred to it in the notes that the team will look at when they look at your device. We have had scenarios before (with different customers, obviously) where a device worked fine in our office, but the customers had issues with their home set up that caused faults. I'm NOT saying that is the case here, I'm just attempting to provide a little background as to why we try to exclude other factors as to being the reason for a device not performing as expected.
4) Understood.
5) When the device was returned, following the flash, it didn't misbehave, so from the team's point of view, it had been resolved.
6) I'm not sure about the power supply, sorry.

I'm hoping we'll get the box, it will be tested and have the same fault still in our office, and that new one can be sent to your quickly.

strandy

Oct 3, 2014
Hi, back again. Sorry due to a death in the family I haven't been on as you can imagine everything is put on hold for a while.

I have decided to send the iMX6 back you you to try and resolve the issue amicably (perspective) can you please give me details.

Regards.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Check your PM (Conversation) area in this forum, the message I sent on the 28th October has all the details there. I've already entered it in our returns system, so if you include the info requested with the package, we should be ready to go. Sorry for the delay with this reply, I was on holiday and it looks like a few posts were somehow missed by the staff covering me.
Ah, one moment, the address to send it to has changed, I'll send another PM with the updated info.